These are 5 things I just can't do without! Be sure to have this in your freezer and you will always be able to cook up something.
- Bacon freezes beautifully and adds wonderful flavour to just about any dish. Think pasta's, yummy wrapped chicken fillets, that spur-of-the-moment breakfasts, meatballs, potato salad, etc. I buy them in stacks when they are on special and are almost never out of supply.
- Always keep a loaf of bread or a batch of English muffins for those days you just don't have the time (or the energy) to go to the shops. Pop a frozen slice of bread in the toaster for or defrost the whole loaf or muffins at room temperature and pop in the oven (at 180°C) for 10 minutes.
- Slice up your favourite fruit and make little frozen smoothie packs. Just toss them into the blender with yogurt or milk for an on-the-go breakfast.
- Cut some vegetables in julienne strips or cubes and freeze in little freezer bags. Perfect for stir-fry or for cooking in the microwave with a lump of butter.
- And my favourite: herbs. Chances are, you won’t have fresh herbs on hand at any given moment. There is an easy solution: Freezing herbs in olive oil or butter. Choose firm, fresh herbs, such as rosemary, sage, thyme, and oregano. Pack the wells of ice cube trays about 2/3 full of herbs. Pour extra-virgin olive oil or melted, unsalted butter over the herbs. Freeze overnight. Remove the frozen cubes and store in freezer containers or small bags. See how I do it below!